More than China’s showy commercial heartbeat, Shanghai is now gaining attention for its cultural cachet, too. Every year seems to usher in more landmark museums, while art fairs lure deep–pocketed collectors. For luxury goods, style hounds head to Huaihai Road for big–name flagships and to the French Concession’s leafy streets for indie boutiques.
Where to Stay
- shanghai-the-puli-hotelThe PuLiFor the tranquility
- shanghai-hotel-indigoHotel IndigoFor the nightlife
- shanghai-The-Langham-XintiandiThe LanghamFor the lavish afternoon tea
- shanghai-fairmont-peace-hotelFairmont Peace HotelFor the art-deco vibes
- shanghai-urbn-hotelURBNFor an eco-friendly stay
- Shanghai-city-guide-Le-Royal-Meridien-ShanghaiLe Royal Méridien ShanghaiFor the proximity to shopping